Fun Facts around English

Do you guys know what are the most common words in the English language?

Well, the most common word used in written English is the, followed in order of use by of, and, to, a, in, that, is, I, it, for, and as. The most common spoken English word is I.


There are lots of long english words, but not as long as few which are even pain to read. But you would be amazed to know that most of these words are commonly used in world of medicine. I always wonder where these words came from? And why are they so long? Have you ever wondered? I mean they could give it a shorter version like for Deoxyribonucleic acid we have DNA in other words Deoxyribonucleic acid short form is DNA.


But its not the case with every other long english words, here are some of them -

1. PNEUMONOULTRAMICROSCOPICSILICOVOLCANOCONIOSIS (45 letters; a lung disease caused by breathing in certain particles) is the longest word in any English-language dictionary. (It is also spelled -koniosis.)

Can you read that word? I can’t I mean I tried to, but I get stuck after microscopic. If you thought that was super long and hard to pronounce then check out these ones which are good contenders :)

TETRAMETHYLDIAMINOBENZHYDRYLPHOSPHINOUS ACID – (39 Letters)


HEPATICOCHOLANGIOCHOLECYSTENTEROSTOMIES – (39 Letters)


FORMALDEHYDETETRAMETHYLAMIDOFLUORIMUM (37 letters)


DIMETHYLAMIDOPHENYLDIMETHYLPYRAZOLONE (37 letters)


SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS (34 letters)


English can be a fun language but at times it can be scary.

Comments

Popular Posts